Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad, Illinois River Bridge, Ottawa, La Salle County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Illinois River Bridge, Ottawa, IL
Find maps of Ottawa, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-71
Building/structure dates: 1898 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1932 subsequent work
Significance: This multi-span, truss railroad bridge was erected in 1898 by the prominent bridge-manufacturing firm of King Bridge Company. A later reconstruction (1932) included a Waddell and Harrington Engineers vertical lift.
King Bridge Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. WEST VIEW FROM SOUTH BANK OF THE ILLINOIS RIVER.
2. SOUTHWEST VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST.
3. SOUTH VIEW OF BRIDGE LOOKING NORTHWEST.
4. WIDE VIEW FROM SOUTH BANK OF THE ILLINOIS RIVER.
5. CENTER SPAN FACING NORTHWEST.
6. VIEW OF WEST SIDE OF SPAN FROM SOUTH BANK OF THE ILLINOIS RIVER.
7. SOUTH SPAN LOOKING NORTHEAST.
8. WIDE VIEW FROM RAILROAD BED OF PORTAL WITH BUILDER'S PLATE.
9. DETAIL OF SOUTH PIER AND PILINGS.
Back to Ottawa, Illinois