Lockport Historic District, Stone Arch Bridge, Spanning Des Plaines River at Ninth Street, Lockport, Will County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Des Plaines River at Ninth Street, Lockport, IL
Find maps of Lockport, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-16-B
Building/structure dates: 1869 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1903 subsequent work
Significance: The original Stone Arch Bridge was constructed in 1868-69, and provided access from Lockport to the western part of Will County and to Kendall County. The bridge has seven arches of approximately 28 feet each, and was built of local limestone. As constructed, the bridge also had stone parapets measuring about 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 feet high. The piers are reinforced with stone buttresses which, in turn, are protected by timbers from ice floes, barges, etc. The opening of the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal in 1900, and the concern about possible flooding led to alterations in about 1903. The Chicago S&S Canal was extended for an additional three miles, and dikes constructed along either side so the canal could be raised as much as fifteen feet above the surrounding area. The embankment was of concrete, with an earthen fill. The parapets on the bridge were removed, and the grade of the crossing raised with poured concrete. The arches remain intact.
Chicago Sanitary Commission
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. ORIGINAL STONE ARCH BRIDGE OVER THE DES PLAINES RIVER AT NINTH STREET IN LOCKPORT. THE BRIDGE WAS BUILT ABOUT 1865. NOTE METAL CLAMP ON THE NEAR PIER AND THE 20TH CENTURY REINFORCED CONCRETE ADDITION.
2. STONE ARCH BRIDGE. TIMBERS ON THE UPSTREAM FACE OF THE PIER PROTECTED THE STONEWORK FROM DAMAGE FROM ICE FLOWS, BARGES, ETC.
Back to Lockport, Illinois