Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Illinois

>

La Grange

>

La Grange Stone Avenue Depot, 701 Burlington Avenue, La Grange, Cook County, IL



See 27 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
701 Burlington Avenue, La Grange, IL

Find maps of La Grange, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IL-1218
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N963).
0.2004
Significance: The Stone Avenue Station was built in 1901 by the engineering staff of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (C. B. & Q). However it was not the first station to stand at the area of Burlington Street and Stone Avenue in La Grange, Illinois. In 1864, the C. B. & Q. Railroad laid track to cover the territory west of Chicago, thus linking the Aurora corridor with the city. The first president of the railroad, John Van Ottrick, was quoted as saying, "It will never pay." Nevertheless, the "Q" was developed, and many towns were directly influenced by the convenient way to travel between western Illinois and Chicago...

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to La Grange, Illinois