Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Illinois

>

La+Salle

>

Illinois Central Railroad, Freight Depot No. 1, North of First Street, east of Union Street, La Salle, La Salle County, IL



See 38 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB451826
South And East Facades Of Original Freight Depot, Looking Northwest

HB451827
South And West Facades Of Original Freight Depot, Looking Northeast

HB451828
Detail Of East Facade Looking West

HB451829
North Facade Looking South

HB451830
General View Of Interior Of Original Freight Depot, Looking South

HB451831
General View Of Interior, Looking North

HB451832
Interior Detail Of Queen-post Roof Truss, Looking South

HB451833
Historic Photograph (from Illinois Central Gulf Railroad), Photographer Unknown, 1918 South And West Facades, Taken In 1918 During The Conversion Of The Freight Depot Into An Engine House.

HB451834
Historic Photograph (from Illinois Central Railroad), Photographer Unknown, 1918 North Facade, Taken In 1918, Showing Double Doors For Engine House


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
east of Union Street, La+Salle, IL

Find maps of La+Salle, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER IL-23-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N1).
Building/structure dates: 1857 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1919 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1982
Significance: The LaSalle Freight Depot is one of the few surviving structures associated with the original Illinois Central Railroad. Although it was modified in 1919 to serve as a locomotive repair shop, the building retains much of its ante-bellum appearance, including its well-crafted random-range stone masonry walls.

Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTH AND EAST FACADES OF ORIGINAL FREIGHT DEPOT, LOOKING NORTHWEST
2. SOUTH AND WEST FACADES OF ORIGINAL FREIGHT DEPOT, LOOKING NORTHEAST
3. DETAIL OF EAST FACADE LOOKING WEST
4. NORTH FACADE LOOKING SOUTH
5. GENERAL VIEW OF INTERIOR OF ORIGINAL FREIGHT DEPOT, LOOKING SOUTH
6. GENERAL VIEW OF INTERIOR, LOOKING NORTH
7. INTERIOR DETAIL OF QUEEN-POST ROOF TRUSS, LOOKING SOUTH
8. Historic photograph (from Illinois Central Gulf Railroad), photographer unknown, 1918 SOUTH AND WEST FACADES, TAKEN IN 1918 DURING THE CONVERSION OF THE FREIGHT DEPOT INTO AN ENGINE HOUSE.
9. Historic photograph (from Illinois Central Railroad), photographer unknown, 1918 NORTH FACADE, TAKEN IN 1918, SHOWING DOUBLE DOORS FOR ENGINE HOUSE


Back to La+Salle, Illinois