Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Illinois

>

Highland Park

>

Casino Building, Ravina Park, Highland Park, Lake County, IL



B&W Photos

HB443491
West (front) Elevation

HB443492
West (front) Elevation, Cental Entrance

HB443493
Oblique View, Looking North

HB443494
East Elevation, South End, Looking Southwest

HB443495
East Elevation, North End, Looking Southwest

HB443496
North Elevation, Perspective, Looking Southwest

HB443497
Garden Pavilion

HB443498
Ceiling, Interior

HB443499
Room, Interior

HB443500
Door, Interior


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Ravina Park, Highland Park, IL

Find maps of Highland Park, IL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IL-1147
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-208).
Building/structure dates: 1904 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1956 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1985 demolished
0.1987
Significance: The Casino Building was one of the original structures at Ravinia Festival. Ravinia Festival, known previously as Ravinia Park, was an early twentieth century high class amusement park created by the Chicago and Milwaukee Electric Railroad, specifically to attract customers to the railroad. The original buildings at Ravinia Park were designed by architect Peter Weber in 1902. The Casino was a two story stucco structure, Spanish in feeling with detailing derivative of the Arts and Crafts movement. It was originally used for dining and private parties. There was a ballroom on the second story. In the 1950's it was used as an art gallery for special shows.

Subjects
Recreation
Amusement Parks
Casinos


Related Names
Weber, Peter
Lambert, Michael A., Delineator
Peterson, Jon D., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION
2. WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION, CENTAL ENTRANCE
3. OBLIQUE VIEW, LOOKING NORTH
4. EAST ELEVATION, SOUTH END, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
5. EAST ELEVATION, NORTH END, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
6. NORTH ELEVATION, PERSPECTIVE, LOOKING SOUTHWEST
7. GARDEN PAVILION
8. CEILING, INTERIOR
9. ROOM, INTERIOR
10. DOOR, INTERIOR


Back to Highland Park, Illinois