U.S. Grant House, Bouthillier & Fourth Street, Galena, Jo Daviess County, IL
Bouthillier & Fourth Street, Galena, IL
Find maps of Galena, IL
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS IL-1221
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N1086).
Significance: The U.S. Grant Home State Historic Site comprises several structures, the most important of which is the Italianate style house, constructed in 1859 and given to General Grant in 1865. In 1931, Illinois acquired the house and eventually restored it. The 2-story red brick building with 1-story kitchen wing was designed by William Dennison, whose original drawings survive. The house was built for Alexander J. Jackson and constructed by Daniel Farr and Joseph Maefefete. In 1865, a group of townsfolk led by Elihu B. Washburne, Grant's friend and benefactor, purchased the house. With much fanfare, the house was conveyed to Grant on June 16, 1865.
Italianate Architectural Elements
Historic House Museums
Grant, Ulysses S.
Jackson, Alexander J.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Galena, Illinois