South Bridge, Spanning Jackson Park Lagoon at South Lake Shore D, Chicago, Cook County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Jackson Park Lagoon at South Lake Shore D, Chicago, IL
Find maps of Chicago, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-146
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N666).
Significance: In 1894, the South Park Commission, administrator of Chicago's south side park system, retained the Boston-area landscape architecture firm of Olmstead, Olmstead and Eliot to refurbish Jackson Park, a lagoon-studded preserve on Lake Michigan. The redesign was ready a year later. In addition to new plantings, roadways, and recreational areas, it called for reshaping the park's two southern lagoons and spanning their connecting waterway with a new bridge. South Bridge, designed by Chicago architect Peter J. Weber, would be completed in 1904 as a 46-foot, barrel-vaulted, reinforced-concrete arch. As befit its highly visible location near the park's perimeter, the structure delivered a polished Beaux Arts statement, its spandrels clad in dressed ashlar limestone accented by sculpted heads of exotic animals.
City Of Chicago
Gordon, Susan, Field Team
Hanley, James, Field Team
Gardner, Lisa, Field Team
Bejalework, Hailye A., Field Team
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. LOOKING E. TOWARD LAKE MICHIGAN, SOUTHBRIDGE IS TOWARD BOTTOM CENTER OF FRAME.
2. OBLIQUE VIEW OF EAST SIDE OF BRIDGE LOOKING NORTH.
3. ELEVATION DETAIL OF EAST ARCH KEYSTONES.
4. SOUTH PORTAL LOOKING NORTH.
5. HIPPO DETAIL.
6. OBLIQUE VIEW OF WEST FACE OF BRIDGE LOOKING NE.
Back to Chicago, Illinois