Pullman Industrial Complex, 111th Street & Cottage Grove Avenue, Chicago, Cook County, IL
See 28 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
111th Street & Cottage Grove Avenue vicinity, Chicago, IL
Find maps of Chicago, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-5
Building/structure dates: 1883 initial construction
National Register Number: 69000054
Significance: Between 1880 and 1883 the Pullman Palace Car Company built a complete factory and town on the shore of Lake Calumet for the purpose of building railroad rolling stock. It was among America's first planned industrial communities.
Beman, S. S.
Barrett, Nathan F.
Pullman Palace Car Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Tin Shop
2. Portion of Erecting Shop, interior of machine bay
3. Portion of Repair Machine Shop
4. Rolling Mill
5. Portion of Sewing Room/Portion of Upholstery Room
6. Interior of Truck Erecting Shop
7. Portion of Machine Floor
8. Power House
9. Testing Bureau
10. Moulding Drawing Machines in Steel Cabinet Shops
11. Stores Department/ Steel Storage Yards
12. Passenger Steel Department/A Large Power Press
13. Wheel and Axle Department/Interior View of Wheel and Axle Department
14. Department of Engineering
15. Interior of Power House Showing Steam Turbo-Electric Generators
Back to Chicago, Illinois