Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway, Calumet River Bridge, Spanning Calumet River, east of Chicago Skyway (I-, Chicago, Cook County, IL
See 28 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
east of Chicago Skyway (I-, Chicago, IL
Find maps of Chicago, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-156
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N649; N965).
Building/structure dates: 1912 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1965 subsequent work
See also HAER IL-161 for additional documentation.
Significance: The Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago Railway's two parallel vertical-lift spans over the Calumet River (of which one survives), and two neighboring spans built for the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway, are the largest multiple installation of Waddell and Harrington's patented design. Differences between the two pairs of bridges demonstrate disparity among American railroads' building codes, as well as Waddell and Harrington's refinement of the vertical-lift form. This site's many bridges built in close proximity is an artifact of intense competition among trunk lines entering Chicago from the east, and perhaps the greatest physical monument to the railroad capital of North America.
Vertical Lift Bridges
Waddell, J. A. L.
Harrington, John L.
Pennsylvania Steel Company
Dravo Contracting Company
Spivey, Justin M., Historian
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Hawley, Haven, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. AERIAL VIEW, LOOKING SE. CHICAGO SKYWAY TOLL BRIDGE (HAER No. IL-145) IS TOWARD RIGHT OF FRAME; PITTSBURGH, FORT WAYNE & CHICAGO RAILWAY BRIDGE IS JUST LEFT OF GRAIN ELEVATOR; PAIR OF LAKE SHORE & MICHIGAN SOUTHERN RAILWAY BRIDGES (HAER No. IL-161) ARE TOWARD LEFT OF FRAME.
2. AERIAL VIEW, LOOKING SOUTH ALONG CALUMET RIVER.
3. AERIAL VIEW, LOOKING SW.
4. AERIAL VIEW, LOOKING WSW.
5. AERIAL VIEW, LOOKING NE ALONG RAILROAD APPROACH TO CHICAGO.
6. AERIAL VIEW, LOOKING DOWN AND NNW.
7. PORTAL ELEVATION, LOOKING SE. SINGLE BRIDGE IS PITTSBURGH, FORT WAYNE & CHICAGO RAILWAY; PAIR OF BRIDGES ARE ABANDONED LAKE SHORE AND MICHIGAN SOUTHERN RAILROAD (HAER No. IL-161).
8. PORTAL ELEVATION, LOOKING NW.
9. PERSPECTIVE OF EAST ELEVATION, SHOT FROM TRACK BED OF ADJACENT LAKE SHORE & MICHIGAN SOUTHERN RAILWAY BRIDGE.
10. EAST ELEVATION OF VERTICAL LIFT SPAN AND MACHINERY HOUSE.
11. SOUTHWEST ELEVATION, SHOT FROM ADJACENT SCRAP YARD.
12. SIMILAR TO IL-156-11, TIGHTER VIEW.
13. DETAIL OBLIQUE OF SOUTHEAST TOWERS, SHOT FROM ADJACENT SCRAPYARD.
PORTAL ELEVATION, LOOKING SE. SINGLE BRIDGE IS PITTSBURGH, FORT WAYNE & CHICAGO RAILWAY; PAIR OF BRIDGES ARE ABANDONED LAKE SHORE AND MICHIGAN SOUTHERN RAILROAD (HAER No. IL-161).
PORTAL ELEVATION, LOOKING NW.
SOUTHWEST ELEVATION, SHOT FROM ADJACENT SCRAP YARD.
Back to Chicago, Illinois