Pennsylvania Railroad, South Branch Chicago River Bridge, Spanning South Branch of Chicago River Bridge east, Chicago, Cook County, IL
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning South Branch of Chicago River Bridge east, Chicago, IL
Find maps of Chicago, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-112
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N643).
Building/structure dates: 1915 initial construction
Significance: Originally built as part of the Pennsylvania Railroad system, this Waddell and Harrington vertical lift span is the only one of its kind across the Chicago River. Upon its completion in 1915, it had the heaviest (1,500 ton) main span of any vertical lift bridge in the United States.
Waddell & Harrington
Pennsylvania Steel Company
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW OF LIFT BRIDGE FROM 18TH STREET BRIDGE, LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
2. VIEW OF NORTH TOWER, COUNTERWEIGHT, AND BRIDGE TENDER'S HOUSE, FROM SOUTH SIDE OF THE RIVER LOOKING NORTH.
3. VIEW OF MOVEABLE SPAN IN LIFT POSITION, FROM SOUTH SIDE OF RIVER LOOKING NORTHEAST.
4. GENERAL VIEW OF SOUTH TOWER AND COUNTERWEIGHT; THIS VIEW SHOWS A FREIGHT TRAIN CROSSING THE SPAN. LOOKING NORTH.
5. VIEW OF SOUTH TOWER AND COUNTERWEIGHT, LOOKING WEST.
6. LOOKING WEST SOUTHWEST, 18th STREET BRIDGE AT RIGHT, PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD BRIDGE IN MIDDLE, CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY ORANGE LINE AT LEFT.
7. LOOKING WEST, PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD BRIDGE IN MIDDLE GROUND, CTA ORANGE LINE IN FOREGROUND, DAN RYAN EXPRESSWAY IN BACKGROUND.
8. LOOKING NORTHEAST TOWARD LOOP, PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD BRIDGE IN BOTTOM CENTER OF FRAME.
9. LOOKING EAST NORTHEAST, CANAL STREET BRIDGE IN FOREGROUND, PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD BRIDGE IN MIDGROUND.
Back to Chicago, Illinois