Illinois Central Railroad, Grain Elevator "A", South Water Street, Chicago, Cook County, IL
See 29 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
South Water Street, Chicago, IL
Find maps of Chicago, IL
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IL-15
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-2).
Building/structure dates: 1855 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1872 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1943 demolished
Significance: Until the time of its demolition in 1943, this grain elevator was the last surviving 19th century elevator in Chicago.
Flour & Meal Industry
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. Photocopy of blueprint, showing 2 sections.
3. Photocopy of photograph, dated Sept. 1, 1919.
4. Photocopy of photograph, dated Dec. 3, 1942.
5. Photocopy of photograph, showing wood structural system.
6. Photocopy of photograph, dated May 5, 1943, showing workers dismanteling structure.
7. Photocopy of photograph, showing substantial demolition.
Back to Chicago, Illinois