Victor Sheldrew House, West side of South Broadway Street, Montour, Gem County, ID
Photo Caption Pages
West side of South Broadway Street, Montour, ID
Find maps of Montour, ID
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS ID-42
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-40).
Building/structure dates: 1921 initial construction
Structure has been referred to stylistically as "Oriental Bungalow."
Significance: This local house was built by Victor Sheldrew, a local carpenter, as his own residence. It is a distinctive rendition of the bungalow form, a general style which Sheldrew used in constructing other local houses. / The Victor Sheldrew house was begun in the late spring of 1921 and was occupied by the end of that year. Sheldrew was a local carpenter who built a number of houses besides his own in Montour. Among them were the George Adams house (1915), the Cox house (1917), the Amos and Volkmer houses (1919), and the Brown house (1920). He also worked on the Valley County Courthouse in Cascade (1920). Given even this limited list, it is clear that Sheldrew was quite familiar with the Craftsman Bungalow form. His choice for his own residence was within this architectural idiom, but in form and material was quite unlike the prevailing style of domestic architecture to be found in Montour. Both the roof form and plan appear, though not in combination, in books such as "Bungalowcraft" (1914), "Bungalows" (1926), and "Bungalows and Modern Homes" (1928).
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. EXTERIOR, EAST ELEVATION (Hans Muessig, Photographer, April 1979)
2. EXTERIOR, NORTH ELEVATION, (Robert Ryan, Photographer, April 1979)
3. EXTERIOR, WEST AND SOUTH ELEVATIONS, LOOKING NORTH-NORTHEAST (Hans Muessig & Robert Ryan, Photographers, April 1979)
4. EXTERIOR, WEST ELEVATION (Hans Muessig, Photographer, April 1979)
5. EXTERIOR, CENTER OF EAST ELEVATION (Hans Muessig, Photographer, April 1979)
6. EXTERIOR, EAST ELEVATION OF NORTH WING (Hans Muessig, Photographer April 1979)
7. INTERIOR, LIVING ROOM & FIREPLACE, LOOKING WEST (Robert Ryan, Photographer, April 1979)
8. INTERIOR, KITCHEN, LOOKING SOUTH-SOUTHEAST (Robert Ryan, Photographer, April 1979)
9. INTERIOR, DINING ROOM & BEDROOM, LOOKING SOUTHEAST (Robert Ryan, Photographer, April 1979)
Back to Montour, Idaho