Post Office Block, Northwest corner of Wall & Montgomery Streets, Idaho City, Boise County, ID
Photo Caption Pages
Northwest corner of Wall & Montgomery Streets, Idaho City, ID
Find maps of Idaho City, ID
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS ID-15
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-12).
Building/structure dates: 1867 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1958 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1869 subsequent work
Significance: The building replaced the original post office on Main Street that burned in the fire of May 17, 1867. Constructed of local low-fired brick, the building has a decorative cornice, and rectangular and rounded arches over heavy metal doors.
Pinney, James A.
Silsby, S. C.
City Of Idaho City
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Duane Garrett, Photographer 1976 EAST (FRONT) ELEVATION
2. Duane Garrett, Photographer 1976 NORTHWEST CORNER
3. Duane Garrett, Photographer 1976 WEST (REAR) ELEVATION
4. Duane Garrett, Photographer 1976 BRICK WORK DETAIL, WEST ELEVATION
5. Duane Garrett, Photographer 1976 BRICK WORK AND BRACING DETAIL, NORTHWEST CORNER
6. Duane Garrett, Photographer 1976 VIEW OF MUSEUM, LOOKING WEST FROM MAIN ENTRANCE
7. Duane Garrett, Photographer 1976 INTERIOR OF MAIN DOORWAY ON EAST WALL
8. Photocopy of old photo shows a view of old post office before the 1958 restoration, taken circa 1953. Original photograph at Idaho Historical Society Boise, Idaho.
Back to Idaho City, Idaho