Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Idaho > East Kamiah vicinity > Henry T. Cowley House, State Route 9, East Kamiah, Idaho County, ID



Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
State Route 9, East Kamiah vicinity, ID

Find maps of East Kamiah, ID


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS ID-2
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-2).
Building/structure dates: 1870 initial construction
Significance: Shortly after Henry T. Cowley arrived in Lapwai (now Spalding) in 1871, the Indian Agency built this house for him near Kamiah, where he was to organize a school and mission among the Nez Perce Indians. He left in June, 1873, for Washington, where he reportedly founded the city of Spokane. Rev. Henry Spalding then lived in the house until his death in 1874. He was followed by two sister missionaries, Sue and Kate Macbeth. After providing shelter for many other missionaries, the house is now owned by Nez Perce Indians of the area.

Subjects
Houses


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to East Kamiah vicinity, Idaho