Hornet Ranger Station, Footbridge to Office, Forest Service Road No. 50002, Council, Adams County, ID
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
Forest Service Road No. 50002, Council vicinity, ID
Find maps of Council, ID
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS ID-110-L
Building/structure dates: 1933 initial construction
Significance: The Hornet Ranger Station forms important historical associations with two federal agencies: the U.S. Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Both of these agencies were instrumental in the regional development of the West during the first half of the twentieth century. / This structure is the west footbridge across Mill Creek and was designed for pedestrians entering the residential portion of the complex. It was built in 1933 as part of a cooperative project between personnel of the Weiser National Forest and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The footbridge measures five feet (E-W) by nine feet (N-S) and is supported by two rectangular slabs of concrete; one on each bank of Mill Creek. The wooden structure consists of Douglas fir timbers and milled dimensional lumber. The lumber is placed horizontally upon the timbers to make a deck (walkway); handrails of five boards of varying lengths are anchored in the decking across both sides. The west footbridge is aligned with a paved stone walkway leading to the porch of the Office (HABS ID-110-B). Footbridges were built from modified plans "R-4 #121A or #121B.
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF FOOTBRIDGE TO OFFICE, FACING NORTHEAST. OFFICE IS IN BACKGROUND.
Back to Council vicinity, Idaho