Phillip Hoffman House, 309 High Avenue West, Oskaloosa, Mahaska County, IA
See 52 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
309 High Avenue West, Oskaloosa, IA
Find maps of Oskaloosa, IA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS IA-185
Building/structure dates: 1860 initial construction
Significance: Wood frame covered with clapboards, two stories, hip roof. The footprint is two adjacent rectangles, approximately 30' x 28 ' and 20' x 16', with a projecting bay on the east. A one-story porch across the front is supported by turned wood posts. Small brackets ornament the eaves. House has been converted into two apartments, with an entrance and stairway added on the west side for access to the second floor. The rear room on the first floor is also an addition. Built 1860s by carpenter Phillip Hoffman. After his death in 1902, the house was occupied by his son, Phillip Hoffman, Jr., one of the editors and owners of the "Oskaloosa Daily and Weekly Herald." The owners from 1976 to 1983 were Mr. and Mrs. Homer Broerman.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH FRONT
2. SOUTH FRONT AND EAST SIDE
3. NORTH REAR AND WEST SIDE
Back to Oskaloosa, Iowa