Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Iowa > Oskaloosa > John Waggoner House, 301 First Avenue West, Oskaloosa, Mahaska County, IA



See 52 maps of this location


B&W Photos
South Front
HB416383
South Front
South Front And East Side
HB416384
South Front And East Side
East Side And North Rear
HB416385
East Side And North Rear
Interior, Stair Hall
HB416386
Interior, Stair Hall
Interior, First Floor, Detail Of Arched Opening
HB416387
Interior, First Floor, Detail Of Arched Opening


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
301 First Avenue West, Oskaloosa, IA

Find maps of Oskaloosa, IA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IA-184
Building/structure dates: 1870 initial construction
Significance: The house has a number of Italianate elements, including a projecting bay, roof accented with large brackets, and bracketed porch roof, doors and windows. The wood-frame building, now covered with cement-asbestos shingles, measures approximately 28' x 45' with projecting bays. Projecting porches were removed from the second and third floors on the west side. There are several interior features of note, including the woodwork on the stairway; door, window, and cabinet hardware; a light fixture in the living room; door and window trim; and beveled glass in the east bay window. On the second floor, there are ornamental hinges, hardware and doorknobs, as well as original bathroom light fixtures. Ornamental hinges and door hardware are also found on the third floor. The house was built in the early 1870s by John Waggoner, a carpenter who had lived in Oskaloosa since 1851, who lived here with his wife. The owner from 1973 until 1983 was Mildred Wick.

Subjects
Houses


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTH FRONT
2. SOUTH FRONT AND EAST SIDE
3. EAST SIDE AND NORTH REAR
4. INTERIOR, STAIR HALL
5. INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, DETAIL OF ARCHED OPENING


Back to Oskaloosa, Iowa