Howar Cigars & Freeland Ice Cream Parlor, 203-205 High Avenue West, Oskaloosa, Mahaska County, IA
See 52 maps of this location
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
203-205 High Avenue West, Oskaloosa, IA
Find maps of Oskaloosa, IA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS IA-183
Building/structure dates: 1890 initial construction
Significance: Brick load-bearing walls, 40' x 80', divided into two units. Oriel window on No. 203 is probably original; oriel window flanked by two mismatched windows on No. 205 is probably an alteration. Corbeled brick cornice. Two recessed storefronts topped by one asphalt-shingled shed roof are all alterations. Door between storefronts leads to upper stories. No. 203 first floor has a dining area in the front, kitchen in the center, and storage in the rear. Second floor has two apartments. First floor has metal ceiling; second floor has some original door hardware. No. 205 first floor has two areas used for retail and one for storage. Constructed mid-1890s. Charles E. Howar owned and operated a cigar manufacturing shop at No. 203. O.J. Freeland owned and operated an ice cream parlor, bakery, and confectionery in No. 205.
Stores & Shops
Ice Cream Parlors
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTH FRONT
Back to Oskaloosa, Iowa