Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Iowa > Humboldt > Johnson Building, 532 Sumner Avenue, Humboldt, Humboldt County, IA



See 44 maps of this location


B&W Photos
General View Of North Front
HB410830
General View Of North Front
North Front
HB410831
North Front
North Front, Detail Of Second Floor
HB410832
North Front, Detail Of Second Floor
View To Southeast, North Front And West Side
HB410833
View To Southeast, North Front And West Side
Rear
HB410834
Rear
Interior, First Floor, Looking South
HB410835
Interior, First Floor, Looking South
Interior, First Floor, Looking Southeast
HB410836
Interior, First Floor, Looking Southeast
Interior, First Floor, Looking North
HB410837
Interior, First Floor, Looking North


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
532 Sumner Avenue, Humboldt, IA

Find maps of Humboldt, IA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IA-156
Significance: The Johnson Building was constructed in 1898-1899 at the direction of A.B. White, who operated a department store in the building until 1950. The construction date is verified by a completion photograph in the January 4, 1900 issue of the "Humboldt County Independent" and grand-opening advertisements in the October, 1899 issues of the same newspaper. A.B. and Esther White purchased the building site on September 1, 1898 and construction began shortly thereafter. The primary construction material was native limestone blocks quarried from Kelder Quarry located approximately two miles west of the building site and adjacent to the North Fork of the Des Moines River. (In 1985 Kelder Quarry was a part of Sheldon Park, owned and operated by the Humboldt County Conservation Commission.) The blocks were transported down the frozen river to the construction site on horse-drawn sleds.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. GENERAL VIEW OF NORTH FRONT
2. NORTH FRONT
3. NORTH FRONT, DETAIL OF SECOND FLOOR
4. VIEW TO SOUTHEAST, NORTH FRONT AND WEST SIDE
5. REAR
6. INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, LOOKING SOUTH
7. INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
8. INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, LOOKING NORTH


Back to Humboldt, Iowa