Traer Street Bridge, Spanning Shell Rock River at Traer Street, Greene, Butler County, IA
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Shell Rock River at Traer Street, Greene, IA
Find maps of Greene, IA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER IA-9
Building/structure dates: 1903 initial construction
Significance: The Traer Street bridge at Greene, Iowa, is a single-span Pennsylvania (Petit) through truss erected 1902-1903. Its very light design was consistent with the limited requirements of small-town vehicular traffic at the turn of the century, but its length (almost 250 feet) was somewhat unusual for single-span bridges built in rural Iowa at this time. The bridge was designed, fabricated and built by the Clinton Bridge & Iron Works of Clinton, Iowa, the state's largest and most enduring bridge firm; and was one of many truss bridges erected by the firm in Iowa and western Illinois during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The bridge, and its two predecessors as well, served an important role in Greene's economy. They opened the town, with its grain elevators, to farmers south and west of the Shell Rock River, thus giving the town access to a market area much larger than would have been the case had no bridge existed at this place.
Clinton Bridge & Iron Works
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. CONTEXT VIEW OF SHELL ROCK RIVER BRIDGE &TOWN OF GREENE, LOOKING NE ALONG TRAER STREET.
2. CENTENNIAL MURAL DEPICTING ROLE OF THE BRIDGE IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF GREENE; ON THE NE FACADE OF BUILDING ON THE NW CORNER OF 1ST AND TRAER STREETS
3. NW ELEVATION OF THE SHELL ROCK RIVER BRIDGE
4. 3/4 VIEW OF BRIDGE SHOWING THE DAM, LOOKING N
5. 3/4 VIEW OF THE BRIDGE, LOOKING W.
6. BARREL SHOT OF THE BRIDGE, LOOKING NE
7. DECK VIEW, LOOKING NE
8. GENERAL VIEW OF THE FABRICATOR'S PLATE & SUPERSTRUCTURE OF THE BRIDGE, LOOKING NE
9. DETAIL VIEW OF THE FABRICATOR'S PLATE, LOOKING NE
10. DETAIL ELEVATION OF NE END OF THE BRIDGE, SHOWING END POSTS & FIRST UPPER CHORD MEMBERS; LOOKING NW
11. DETAIL VIEW OF INSIDE OF PINNED CONNECTION AT R 1, SHOWING JUNCTION OF UPPER CHORD & END POST; LOOKING NW
12. DETAIL OF INTERMEDIATE PINNED CONNECTION AT R 3 (INSIDE), SHOWING WALKWAY; LOOKING W
13. DETAIL OF INTERMEDIATE PINNED CONNECTION AT L 5 (OUTSIDE); LOOKING N & UP AT THE CONNECTION
14. DETAIL OF INTERMEDIATE PINNED CONNECTION AT 7 (OUTSIDE), CENTER OF BRIDGE; LOOKING E & UP AT THE CONNECTION
15. INTERMEDIATE PINNED CONNECTION AT 7 (INSIDE CENTER OF BRIDGE; LOOKING E
16. LOWER CHORD CONNECTIONS, LOOKING W
17. LOWER CHORD CONNECTION, FLOOR BEAM & STRINGER SYSTEMS, WALKWAY CANTILEVER SUPPORTS; WALKWAY CANTILEVER SUPPORTS; LOOKING N
18. DETAIL VIEW OF LOWER CHORD PINNED CONNECTION, STRINGER SYSTEM, & WALKWAY CANTILEVER SUPPORT; LOOKING W
19. VIEW OF WALKWAY & ITS SUPPORT SYSTEM, LOOKING SW
20. CONTEXT VIEW OF SHELL ROCK RIVER BRIDGE & TOWN OF GREENE, LOOKING SW ALONG TRAER
Back to Greene, Iowa