Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Iowa

>

Des Moines

>

Fort Des Moines Historic Complex, Building Nos. 63-64, Des Moines, Polk County, IA



B&W Photos

HB415837
View Looking South [bldg 63 (l) And 64 (r)]

HB415838
View Looking Southwest [bldg 63 (l) And 64 (r)]

HB415839
View Looking Southeast [bldg 63 (l) And 64 (r)]

HB415840
View Looking Southwest [bldg 63 (l) And 64 (r)]

HB415841
View Looking North [bldg 64 (l) And 63 (r)]

HB415842
View Looking Northeast [bldg 64 (l) And 63 (r)]

HB415843
View Looking Northwest [bldg 64 (l) And 63 (r)]


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Building Nos. 63-64, Des Moines, IA

Find maps of Des Moines, IA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IA-121-J
Building/structure dates: 1905 initial construction
National Register Number: 74000805
Significance: This structure stands to the west of the preceding building, along Gruber Street and fronting the south side of the Fort Des Moines parade ground. Built according to the Quartermaster General's Plan 75G, this 200-man facility was finished February 8, 1905, costing $54,640.45. It had red brick walls joined in running bond by a red-pigmented mortar, a rusticated limestone foundation, and a slate roof. The structure consists of a main building with dimensions of 71 feet 8 inches by 39 feet 4 inches. The ends of the main building adjoin the wings, each measuring 39 feet 4 inches by 103 feet 4 inches. Along the front of the main building and the front of the wings there once stood a two-tiered roofed porch supported by turned wood columns. Metal railings connected the columns. At each level on the front of the main building doorways were located close to the adjacent wings. The double doors were paneled and had transoms. At either end of the front of the main building, steps with railings led from the grade to the first level of the porch.

Subjects
Barracks


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW LOOKING SOUTH [BLDG 63 (L) AND 64 (R)]
2. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHWEST [BLDG 63 (L) AND 64 (R)]
3. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST [BLDG 63 (L) AND 64 (R)]
4. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHWEST [BLDG 63 (L) AND 64 (R)]
5. VIEW LOOKING NORTH [BLDG 64 (L) AND 63 (R)]
6. VIEW LOOKING NORTHEAST [BLDG 64 (L) AND 63 (R)]
7. VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST [BLDG 64 (L) AND 63 (R)]


Back to Des Moines, Iowa