Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Iowa

>

Des Moines

>

Fort Des Moines Historic Complex, Building Nos. 61-62, Des Moines, Polk County, IA



B&W Photos

HB415819
View Looking South [bldg 61 (l) And 62 (r)]

HB415820
View Looking Southwest [bldg 61 (l) And 62 (r)]

HB415821
View Looking Southeast [bldg 61 (l) And 62 (r)]

HB415822
View Looking North [bldg 62 (l) And 61 (r)]

HB415823
View Looking Northwest [bldg 62 (l) And 61 (r)]


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Building Nos. 61-62, Des Moines, IA

Find maps of Des Moines, IA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IA-121-I
Building/structure dates: 1904 initial construction
National Register Number: 74000805
Significance: This double two-story unit, identical in construction to those discussed previously, fronted on Gruber Street and the south side of the parade ground. The structure cost $58,551.73 when completed on November 15, 1904. Like the other barracks, it had brick walls, slate roof, and limestone foundation. The brick was joined in running bond with red-pigmented mortar. The main building measures 71 feet 8 inches by 39 feet 4 inches. Two wings join either end of the main building; they each measure 39 feet 4 inches by 103 feet 4 inches. The structure, adhering to Plan 75G of the Quartermaster General's Office, originally had a two-tiered porch with roof extending along the front of the main building and the adjoining wings. Turned wooden columns supported the second level of the porch and its roof, and metal railings ran between the columns. On the front of the main building, double doors with 6-light transoms at each level were located near the wings. Two stairways led from the ground up onto the lower porch. At each level were six double hung windows, each with four lights. At the back side of the main building another two-tiered porch was attached.

Subjects
Barracks


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW LOOKING SOUTH [BLDG 61 (L) AND 62 (R)]
2. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHWEST [BLDG 61 (L) AND 62 (R)]
3. VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST [BLDG 61 (L) AND 62 (R)]
4. VIEW LOOKING NORTH [BLDG 62 (L) AND 61 (R)]
5. VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST [BLDG 62 (L) AND 61 (R)]


Back to Des Moines, Iowa