Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Iowa > Davenport > George M. Schmidt Block, 301-303 West Second Street, Davenport, Scott County, IA



See 29 maps of this location


B&W Photos
General View Of 301-307 West Second Street
HB409435
General View Of 301-307 West Second Street
North Side
HB409436
North Side
East Side
HB409437
East Side
Detail Of Cornice
HB409438
Detail Of Cornice


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
301-303 West Second Street, Davenport, IA

Find maps of Davenport, IA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IA-131
Significance: Erected in c. 1866, this building because of its size, architectural details, and key corner location is a relatively important building in the downtown streetscape. It is described in "A History of the Architecture and Urbanization on Nineteenth Century Davenport, Iowa," 1979, as the oldest remaining intact commercial building in the Victorian Italianate style. Other extant Italianate structures in the central business district (except for fragments of the Davenport National Bank Block, 1866-67) probably date from the 1870's.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. GENERAL VIEW OF 301-307 WEST SECOND STREET
2. NORTH SIDE
3. EAST SIDE
4. DETAIL OF CORNICE


Back to Davenport, Iowa