Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Iowa > Davenport > 325-327 West Second Street (Commercial Building), Davenport, Scott County, IA



B&W Photos
North Side
HB409491
North Side
Detail Of Cornice
HB409492
Detail Of Cornice


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Davenport, IA

Find maps of Davenport, IA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS IA-134
Significance: The appearance of this building is a sample of the changing aesthetics of 19th century commercial architecture. Built in c. 1855 this block was originally designed in the Greek Revival style. Twenty to thirty years later, changing tastes (and perhaps roof drainage problems) saw the addition of the pressed metal cornice. Recent changes diminish its architectural presence in the blockface. Ownership and occupancy records are sketchy for this building prior to 1900. Two early owners were Dr. Edward Schlegel (before 1865) and H.H. Andressen (1865-1877), a prominent German-American banker and businessman. After 1900 the first floor fronts were occupied by a series of firms including McGregor Mercantile (c. 1910); Muhs Brothers, mens clothing (c. 1900-1910); A&P Grocery Store (c. 1920); Kunkle and Sons Hardware (c. 1920-1930); and Capital Furniture Store (c. 1930). None of these businesses were particularly unusual or rare, large scale, or broadbased but rather, were representative of the downtown's typical small scale commercial makeup.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. NORTH SIDE
2. DETAIL OF CORNICE


Back to Davenport, Iowa