Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Iowa

>

Clay Township

>

Supple Ford Bridge, Spanning South Fork of Maquoketa River, Clay Township, Jones County, IA



Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Spanning South Fork of Maquoketa River, Clay Township, IA

Find maps of Clay Township, IA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER IA-32
Building/structure dates: 1875 initial construction
Significance: The Jones County bowstring arch-truss bridge is a virtually intact example of a once-common technology in bridge design in Iowa, the bowstring bridge designed by the King Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio. In 1980, this bridge was described as one of only approximately 28 remaining bowstring bridges in Iowa and one of four remaining bowstring bridges in Jones County. It was erected in 1875 and is the second oldest surviving iron truss bridge in Jones County and the oldest remaining bridge built by the King Iron Bridge Company in the county today.

Subjects
Vehicular Bridges


Related Names
King Bridge Company


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Clay Township, Iowa