Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Hawaii

>

Pearl%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BHarbor

>

U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Aircraft Carrier Support Facilities, Northwest side of Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, Honolulu County, HI



Data Pages


Item Title


Location
Northwest side of Ford Island, Pearl%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BHarbor, HI

Find maps of Pearl%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BHarbor, HI


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS HI-394
Building/structure dates: 1917 initial construction
National Register Number: 66000940
Significance: This complex of buildings and berths on the northwest side of Ford Island contained the main aircraft carrier support facilities in Hawaii during WWII. The buildings were mostly constructed about 1941, after the Army aviation functions had been moved from Luke Field (northwest side of Ford Island) to either Hickam or Wheeler Army Air Fields. These Navy-built facilities supplemented the four Luke Field hangars (Fac. 174, 130, 133, and 134 [the last listed now gone]) and a few other structures that the Army had left on Ford Island. This carrier support area included the hangars and shop buildings where planes and other equipment of the carriers were repaired, as well as the storage facilities for small ordnance and other materials. There buildings were needed for training and to provide repairs and supplies for the deployment of the aircraft carriers in the Pacific. The moorings on the northwest side on Ford Island were the preferred berthing spaces for the aircraft carriers when they came to Pearl Harbor on the way to or between battles. These moorings were converted to carrier wharfs (Facilities S382, S383, and S384) during the last years of WWII. This support complex helped prepare the aircraft carriers and allowed rotation of their planes; this enabled maintenance of top readiness for the critical air battles in the Pacific that contributed to the final victory.

Subjects
Storage
Military Aircraft


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Pearl%2525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BHarbor, Hawaii