U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Temporary Dry Provisions Storehouses, Merry Point Wharf near North Street, Pearl Harbor, Honolulu County, HI
Photo Caption Pages
Merry Point Wharf near North Street, Pearl Harbor, HI
Find maps of Pearl Harbor, HI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS HI-414
Building/structure dates: 1940 initial construction
National Register Number: 66000940
Significance: Facility Nos. 146, 147, and 148 are associated with the history of base development at Merry Point, and the expansion of storage facilities during the build-up of WWII. Merry Point, a triangular peninsula created in 1924, had been mostly open space until four storehouses were constructed there in 1940. These three remaining wood-framed warehouses are a distinctive type, with roof monitors that are more commonly seen in steel-framed shop buildings at this naval base. This grouping constitutes a distinguishable type of storehouse that differs from other WWII storage facilities at Pearl Harbor. All three buildings are contributing elements to the Pearl Harbor National Historic Landmark.
War (World War II)
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Oblique view from the northeast showing Facility Nos. 148 (foreground), 147, and 146 along the north side of Merry Point Wharf
Oblique view of east end and north side of Facility No. 146, with Facility No. 147 to left and Facility No. 88 behind
Oblique view of south side and west end of Facility No. 146
Interior of Facility No. 146
Back to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii