U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Seaplane Hangar, Lexington Boulevard west of Gannet Street, Pearl Harbor, Honolulu County, HI
Lexington Boulevard west of Gannet Street, Pearl Harbor, HI
Find maps of Pearl Harbor, HI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS HI-365
Building/structure dates: 1928 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1937 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1943 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1982 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000940
Significance: Facility No. 54 was built in 1935 as part of the expansion of facilities for the Fleet Air Base at Ford Island in the period preceding World War II. The hangar is significant for its architecture and its history. The building was based on a standard hangar design developed by the Navy in the 1920s. Facility No. 54 is the last hangar built using this design, and is the only one of this design built with substantial masonry cladding. Facility 54 was also a significant structure, from its construction until the closure of the air station, for its role as a maintenance hangar for seaplanes, and later for land planes, of the U.S. Navy.
Dye, Dot, Field Team
Franzen, David, Photographer
Yoklavich, Ann, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii