U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Galley-Mess Hall, Russell Way, between Long & Neville Ways, Pearl Harbor, Honolulu County, HI
Photo Caption Pages
between Long & Neville Ways, Pearl Harbor, HI
Find maps of Pearl Harbor, HI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS HI-178
Building/structure dates: 1914 initial construction
National Register Number: 66000940
Significance: The first buildings at the Marine Barracks, Pearl Harbor (Officer's Quarters and the Marine Barracks Building - now Puller Hall) were constructed in 1914 as part of the initial permanent post, making this complex the oldest Marine Garrison in Hawaii. The wooden barracks and galley buildings (Buildings 277 to 281, 285 to 287) of the Marine Barracks were constructed as part of the World War II buildup of the base, making the period of significance World War II. The Marine Barracks district is associated with an "event that has made a significant contribution to the broad patterns of Hawaii's history" (as part of the oldest Marine garrison and second largest Marine Barracks in Hawaii). Additionally, the structures embody "the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, and method of construction." Although the structures have received minor alterations, the district's basic integrity has not been impaired. The structures in the Marine Barracks Complex form a distinct and historically significant district, and have played a major role in the operation of the Pearl Harbor Naval Base.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. FRONT (EAST) AND SOUTH SIDE OF GALLEY/MESS HALL BUILDING 279
2. REAR (WEST) SIDE OF GALLEY/MESS HALL BUILDING 279
3. INTERIOR OF ORIGINAL MESS HALL SPACE, GALLEY/MESS HALL BUILDING 279
Back to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii