Ewa Plantation Company Industrial Center, Bagasse Storage Warehouse, Honouliuli Plain, near intersection of Renton Road, Ewa, Honolulu County, HI
See 3 maps of this location
near intersection of Renton Road, Ewa, HI
Find maps of Ewa, HI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS HI-384-H
Building/structure dates: 1956 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1975 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1991 subsequent work
Significance: This was the last building erected by the EPC in their Industrial Center, in 1956. It was built to store the fibrous cane material, called bagasse, left over from the milling process, which in turn was burned as fuel to power the mill and to furnish most of the plantation's electricity needs. It represents one aspect of the self-sufficiency that was a goal of Hawaii's sugar plantations.
Orrick, James N.
Franzen, David, Photographer
Yoklavich, Ann, Historian
Zagorski, Mike, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Ewa, Hawaii