Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Georgia

>

Scottdale

>

Scottdale Mills Complex, East Ponce de Leon Avenue, Scottdale, Dekalb County, GA



See 13 maps of this location


Item Title
Scottdale Mills Complex, East Ponce de Leon Avenue, Scottdale, Dekalb County, GA

Location
East Ponce de Leon Avenue vicinity, Scottdale, GA

Find maps of Scottdale, GA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER GA-63
Building/structure dates: 1900 initial construction
Significance: The mill was established by George W. Scott, who had previously organized the George W. Scott & Company commercial fertilizer manufactory and was the major founding contributor of Agnes Scott College. Designed to accommodate 350 looms and 10,000 spindles, Scottdale Mills began producing sheeting in 1901 and was one of the earliest factories in Dekalb County.The Mill was typical of southern textile mill of this period, employing both male and female workers for whom the mill management built housing, provided medical care, and operated a general store. Like other textile mills, Scottdale was really a self-contained village, with succeeding generations tending the looms and spindles.

Subjects
Textile Mills
Textile Industry


Related Names
George W. Scott & Company
Hawke, Paul, Historian


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Scottdale, Georgia