Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Georgia

>

Savannah

>

Charles B. Cluskey Embankment Stores, East Bay Street, Savannah, Chatham County, GA



See 16 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB347282
Perspective View Of Main Elevation

HB347283
Main Elevation

HB347284
Typical Interior


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
East Bay Street, Savannah, GA

Find maps of Savannah, GA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS GA-1180
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-69).
Significance: These buildings were completed in 1840 and leased to builder Charles B. Cluskey, for a term of twenty years. On January 18, 1841, Cluskey, who was financially pressed, turner over his lease to John Dillon as creditor. The stores are described in this indenture as "all that range of the fireproof stores, five in number situate, lying and being east of the Exchange in the city of Savannah (now erecting by the party of the first part) Charles B. Cluskey." There seems to be no significant subsequent history for these buildings, presumably at the expiration of the lease, they reverted to the city of Savannah and are now used as a city garage.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF MAIN ELEVATION
2. MAIN ELEVATION
3. TYPICAL INTERIOR


Back to Savannah, Georgia