GDOT Bridge No. 027-00268X-00687N, Span Piscola Creek Overflow on Empress Road (Count, Quitman, Brooks County, GA
Photo Caption Pages
Span Piscola Creek Overflow on Empress Road (Count, Quitman vicinity, GA
Find maps of Quitman, GA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER GA-87
Building/structure dates: 1925 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1994 demolished
Significance: GDOT Bridge #027-00238X-00687N is a Luten double-rib concrete arch type bridge that was constructed in 1924-1925. Although the Luten Bridge Company built approximately sixteen concrete arch bridges in the state during the period from 1918 to 1936, the double-rib type is not commonly found in Georgia. GDOT Bridge #027-00268X-00687N is one of four Luten double-rib concrete arch bridges in the state, and one of two in Brooks County. It is significant for its design and workmanship, and for its role in the development of transportation and commerce in Brooks County.
Luten Bridge Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF GDOT BRIDGE NO. 027-00268X-00687N FACING NORTH.
2. VIEW OF GDOT BRIDGE NO. 027-00268X-00687N FACING SOUTH.
3. VIEW OF GDOT BRIDGE NO. 027-00268X-00687N WEST SIDE ELEVATION.
4. VIEW OF GDOT BRIDGE NO. 027-00268X-00687N EAST SIDE ELEVATION.
5. VIEW OF GDOT BRIDGE NO. 027-00268X-00687N DETAIL OF HANDRAIL SHOWING INCISED RECTANGULAR PATTERN.
Back to Quitman vicinity, Georgia