Dixie Cotton Mill, 710 Greenville Street, La Grange, Troup County, GA
Photo Caption Pages
710 Greenville Street, La Grange, GA
Find maps of La Grange, GA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER GA-99
Building/structure dates: 1896 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1913 subsequent work
Paray, Charles A. M.
Lockwood Greene Engineering Company
Lowe, Jet, Photographer
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. View facing east/southeast of main elevation of Dixie Cotton Mill. The original 1895 mill structure has been considerably expanded and altered over the years. Note the hipped roof office structure (built c. 1913) in front of main mill building. Parking lot in foreground was formerly a recreation space for the mill village.
2. View facing north of west and south elevations of Dixie Cotton Mill. The brick structure that forms the west elevation was added in 1913.
3. Partial view of south and east elevations of Dixie Cotton Mill.
4. Interior of second floor of Dixie Cotton Mill, view facing west. This area is now designated the upstairs yarn storage room. Note the change of column type and roof structure from the first to second column in foreground of photograph. The round columns were used in the 1913 addition to the original 1895 structure.
5. Interior of second floor of Dixie Cotton Mill, view facing east. Again note the change in column type and roof structure from the 1913 addition (foreground) to a portion of the original 1895 structure (background).
6. Detail view of column capital on second floor of original 1895 section of mill. Note insulated water drain pipe adjacent to column which provides roof drainage.
7. General view looking west in first floor weave room. Note square wood columns with beveled edges, indicating portion of mill constructed in 1895.
8. Detail view of column and beam connection in first floor weave room.
9. Detail view of columns on first floor. This row of columns indicates the former location of the exterior mill wall before World War II era expansion. The unusual column and beam connection was a key part of the mill structural system patented by Providence, Rhode Island engineers Charles Praray and Charles Makepeace in 1894. Each column was originally located in the apex of triangular window bay, but not connected to the exterior wall. Modifications on the right side of each column support the beams of the addition.
10. Detail view of column and beam connection at location of 1895 exterior wall before mill expansion.
Back to La Grange, Georgia