Front Avenue Industrial District, Front Avenue between Eighth & Fourteenth Streets, Columbus, Muscogee County, GA
Front Avenue between Eighth & Fourteenth Streets, Columbus, GA
Find maps of Columbus, GA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER GA-33
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-33).
Building/structure dates: 1867 initial construction
Significance: The nearly continuous eight block facade along the west side of Front Avenue (4,300 feet) represents a rare survival of the late 19th century commercial and industrial architecture. The integrity of the facades of these buildings, constructed between 1867 and 1902, is reflected in their similar scale and consistent use of materials and detailing. Some of the buildings are of architectural distinction, such as the Muscogee Mill No. 2. The W.C. Bradley Company, the Eagle and Phenix Mills and the Columbus Iron Works also exhibit some fine brick detailing work. Located a block from the Chattahoochee, most of these businesses depended on the river. During the 19th century, the industries utilized its water power; the warehouses shipped much of their cotton on the river; and the Columbus Iron Works built boilers and steam engines for riverboats that carried much of the city' commerce on the Chattahoochee.
Flour & Meal Industry
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Columbus, Georgia