Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Georgia

>

Columbus

>

Columbus Railroad Company, Power Station, Eighteenth Street on Chattahoochee River, Columbus, Muscogee County, GA



B&W Photos

HB352733
BWPhotos 054029

HB352734
BWPhotos 054030

HB352735
BWPhotos 054031

HB352736
BWPhotos 054032

HB352737
BWPhotos 054033

HB352738
BWPhotos 054034

HB352739
BWPhotos 054035

HB352740
BWPhotos 054036


Data Pages


Item Title


Location
Eighteenth Street on Chattahoochee River, Columbus, GA

Find maps of Columbus, GA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER GA-27
Building/structure dates: 1894 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1950 demolished
Significance: This was the first central hydroelectric generating station in Columbus. From 1887-1906 it produced most of the electricity used for street, commercial and residential lighting, and for small power needs. It was a typical early low head development. The plant is interesting because of its early construction and the important service it provided. The equipment was dismantled in 1951, and shortly afterward the structure burned. The steel framework and iron roof remain; the six original turbines are visible through the burned-out wood floor.

Subjects
Fires
Power Industry
Railroad Companies


Related Names
Baldwin, George J.
Flournoy, J. F.
Pearce, George A.
Reynolds, H. S.


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Columbus, Georgia