Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Georgia > Columbus > St. Christopher's Normal & Industrial Parish School, 900 Fifth Avenue, Columbus, Muscogee County, GA



See 17 maps of this location


B&W Photos
West Front And South Side.
HB371958
West Front And South Side.
South Side And East Rear.
HB371959
South Side And East Rear.
West Front.
HB371960
West Front.
South Side.
HB371961
South Side.
North Side.
HB371962
North Side.
First Floor Classroom, Looking Northeast Towards Closet.
HB371963
First Floor Classroom, Looking Northeast Towards Closet.
First Floor Hall, Looking West Toward Front Door.
HB371964
First Floor Hall, Looking West Toward Front Door.
Second Floor Auditorium, Looking West Toward Stage.
HB371965
Second Floor Auditorium, Looking West Toward Stage.
Second Floor Stairwell, Looking East Toward Rear Of Auditorium.
HB371966
Second Floor Stairwell, Looking East Toward Rear Of Auditorium.
Detail Of Stairwell, Looking East From Second Floor.
HB371967
Detail Of Stairwell, Looking East From Second Floor.


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
900 Fifth Avenue, Columbus, GA

Find maps of Columbus, GA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS GA-2291
Building/structure dates: 1916 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1951 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1994 demolished
Significance: Architecture: This annex is an example of school architecture in the black community at the beginning of the 20th century. Extremely simple in design, it suggests that functionalism was used as a financial necessity to create a school to teach local black residents. Education: This building is significant for educational reasons, as it served as an early church-affiliated school (which was apparently private) in Columbus' black community.

Subjects
Schools


Related Names
St. Christopher's Episcopal Church
Kinlock, Bishop. C. Nelson
Braithwaite, J. Stewart


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. WEST FRONT AND SOUTH SIDE.
2. SOUTH SIDE AND EAST REAR.
3. WEST FRONT.
4. SOUTH SIDE.
5. NORTH SIDE.
6. FIRST FLOOR CLASSROOM, LOOKING NORTHEAST TOWARDS CLOSET.
7. FIRST FLOOR HALL, LOOKING WEST TOWARD FRONT DOOR.
8. SECOND FLOOR AUDITORIUM, LOOKING WEST TOWARD STAGE.
9. SECOND FLOOR STAIRWELL, LOOKING EAST TOWARD REAR OF AUDITORIUM.
10. DETAIL OF STAIRWELL, LOOKING EAST FROM SECOND FLOOR.


Back to Columbus, Georgia