Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Georgia

>

College%2BPark

>

3818 East Main Street (Commercial Building), College Park, Fulton County, GA



B&W Photos

HB366098
Front Elevation, View East

HB366099
Oblique Side View, Looking Northeast

HB366100
Interior View Of The Store

HB366101
Interior View, Rear Section Of The Store

HB366102
Interior View Of The Store

HB366103
Interior Detail Of The Fanlight Window On South Wall

HB366104
Outside Detail Of Fanlight Window On Side Of Store Front

HB366105
View Of Room Behind Store


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
College%2BPark, GA

Find maps of College%2BPark, GA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS GA-2180
Building/structure dates: 1911 initial construction
Significance: Number 3818 is one of a group of five buildings in College Park which contains three of the city's oldest commercial structures. This particular building is reputedly the oldest structure (non-residential) in College Park, but there is no direct evidence of this. Reputedly, it was used as the first port office for College Park. On appearance it may be as old as the City Hall and certainly younger than No. 3808. No. 3808 imitates some aspects of 3818 (most specifically, the fan light windows along the side) but was built with gas connections, something 3818 lacks. This building appears on the 1911 Sanborn map as a grocery store, and remained as a grocery store through the early 1940s. After that it was used as a radio/TV repair shop, a bakery, and a distributor for food service equipment. The rear of the storefront, which fronts on John Wesley (No. 1835) was most recently used for storage for the upholsterer next door; its earlier uses are unknown.

Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Front elevation, view east
2. Oblique side view, looking northeast
3. Interior view of the store
4. Interior view, rear section of the store
5. Interior view of the store
6. Interior detail of the fanlight window on south wall
7. Outside detail of fanlight window on side of store front
8. View of room behind store


Back to College%2BPark, Georgia