Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Georgia

>

Augusta

>

Enterprise Manufacturing Company, 1450 Greene Street, Augusta Canal, Augusta, Richmond County, GA



B&W Photos

HB350984

HB350985

HB350986

HB350987

HB350988

HB350989

HB350990

HB350991

HB350992

HB350993

HB350994

HB350995

HB350996

HB350997


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
Augusta Canal, Augusta, GA

Find maps of Augusta, GA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER GA-13
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-13).
Building/structure dates: 1848 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1877 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1881 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1888 subsequent work
Significance: The Granite Mill, built shortly after the completion of the original canal, is the oldest industrial building in Augusta. The later Enterprise Manufacturing Company was the first large-scale mill to use water power from the enlarged Augusta Canal. Its success signaled the emergence of Augusta as a manufacturing center. The mill still operates, showing the adaptability of 19th-century mills to modern machinery, and still (1977) uses canal water to power its hydroelectric plant.

Subjects
Education
Mills
Warehouses


Related Names
Granite Mill
Cogin, Francis
Coleman, James L.
Davis, Jones S.
Jackson, George T.
Jackson, William E.


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Augusta, Georgia