Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Georgia

>

Augusta

>

Sand Bar Ferry Bridge, Spanning Savannah River on State Highway 28, Augusta, Richmond County, GA



B&W Photos


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Spanning Savannah River on State Highway 28, Augusta, GA

Find maps of Augusta, GA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER GA-146
Building/structure dates: 1922 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1931 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1987 demolished
Significance: The Sand Bar Ferry Bridge on South Carolina Route 28 over the Savannah River linking Aiken County, South Carolina and Richmond County, Georgia is an example of one of the early metal truss bridges designed by the South Carolina Highway Department in 1920-1921 built by the Virginia Bridge and Iron Company of Roanoke, Virginia in 1922. This bridge is the only remaining metal truss bridge in South Carolina with Pratt rigid deck trusses and only one of two remaining bridges with Warren rigid deck trusses. It is the only known combination highway bridge of its type in either Georgia or South Carolina.

Subjects
Truss Bridges
Vehicular Bridges


Related Names
South Carolina Highway Department
Virginia Bridge & Iron Company
Atlanta Bridge Company
Greenville Steel & Foundry Company
South Carolina Department Of Highways & Public Tra, Historian
Sprinkle, Brad, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Augusta, Georgia