Fort McPherson, World War II Station Hospital, Hospital Wards, Anderson Way & Howe Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
Photo Caption Pages
Anderson Way & Howe Street, Atlanta, GA
Find maps of Atlanta, GA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS GA-2282-G
Building/structure dates: 1943 initial construction
Significance: Building 128 was built as an eighty-two-patient Standard Ward and Building 131 as a seventy-two-patient Combination Special and Neuropsychiatric Ward for the Station Hospital in 1943. They signify the expansion of the Station Hospital during World War II and the role of the 800-series hospital, the first use of semipermanent construction for World War II hospital mobilization.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF BUILDING 128: SOUTH (GABLE END) AND WEST SIDES FROM ANDERSON WAY, FACING NORTHEAST.
2. VIEW OF BUILDING 128: NORTH (GABLE END) AND WEST SIDES FROM HOWE STREET, FACING SOUTHEAST.
3. VIEW OF BUILDING 128: EAST AND NORTH (GABLE END) SIDES FROM HOWE STREET, FACING SOUTHWEST.
4. VIEW OF BUILDING 131: SOUTH END FROM ANDERSON WAY, FACING NORTH.
5. VIEW OF BUILDING 131: SOUTH (GABLE END) AND WEST SIDES FROM SOUTHWEST. (EDGE OF BUILDING 132 IS VISIBLE AT LEFT; BUILDING 130 AT RIGHT.)
6. VIEW OF BUILDING 131: WEST SIDE, FACING EAST.
7. VIEW OF BUILDING 131: SOUTH AND EAST SIDES AND CONNECTING CORRIDOR FROM ANDERSON WAY. (BUILDING 132 IS VISIBLE AT LEFT.)
8. VIEW OF INTERIOR FIRST FLOOR CORRIDOR, FACING NORTH.
9. VIEW OF INTERIOR CORRIDOR THAT CONNECTS BUILDINGS 131 THROUGH TO 128, FACING EAST.
10. Photocopy of drawing. (This drawing is an 8' x 10' enlargement from a 4' x 5' negative; 1942 drawing titled: Mobilization Hospital Buildings, Type HSW-98, Standard Ward, First Floor Architectural Plan and First Floor Framing Plan,' Plan 800-1935, located at Directorate of Engineering and Housing, Fort McPherson.)
Back to Atlanta, Georgia