Fort McPherson, World War II Station Hospital, G. U. Treatment Unit Dispensary, Thorne Avenue, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
Photo Caption Pages
Thorne Avenue, Atlanta, GA
Find maps of Atlanta, GA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS GA-2282-D
Building/structure dates: 1942 initial construction
Significance: Building 112 was the Dispensary for the G.U. Treatment Unit. The Dispensary signifies the expansion of the Fort McPherson Station Hospital during World War II and the role of the 800-series in mobilization construction. The Unit was built in 1942 to treat men with genitourinary ailments. The Dispensary was a temporary structure built of hollow tile for efficient wartime use.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW OF NORTHEAST FRONT (GABLE END) FROM THORNE AVENUE, FACING NORTHWEST. (BUILDINGS 114 AND 118 ARE VISIBLE IN THE BACKGROUND.)
2. VIEW OF NORTHWEST SIDE SHOWING NORTHEAST (GABLE END) FRONT. (BUILDING 114 IS VISIBLE ON RIGHT.)
3. VIEW OF SOUTHEAST SIDE FROM THORNE AVENUE.
4. VIEW OF NORTHEAST FRONT (GABLE END). (BUILDING 114 IS VISIBLE ON RIGHT.)
5. VIEW OF SOUTHWEST SIDE (GABLE END).
6. INTERIOR CORRIDOR, FACING WEST.
7. INTERIOR OFFICE SPACE, CORNER, FACING NORTHWEST.
8. Photocopy of drawing. (This drawing is an 8' x 10' enlargement from a 4' x 5' negative; 1942 drawing titled 'Mobilization Building; G.U. Dispensary, Type G.U.D.-1; Heating, Plumbing and Electric.' Plan 800-1559, located at Directorate of Engineering and Housing, Fort McPherson.)
Back to Atlanta, Georgia