Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Georgia

>

Atlanta

>

Techwood Homes, Building No. 6, 465 Techwood Drive & 119-125 Hunnicutt Street, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA



See 14 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB374465

HB374466

HB374467

HB374468

HB374469

HB374470

HB374471

HB374472

HB374473

HB374474

HB374475

HB374476

HB374477

HB374478

HB374479

HB374480

HB374481

HB374482

HB374483

HB374484

HB374485

HB374486

HB374487

HB374488

HB374489

HB374490

HB374491

HB374492

HB374493


Item Title
BWPhotos 332353

Location
465 Techwood Drive & 119-125 Hunnicutt Street, Atlanta, GA

Find maps of Atlanta, GA


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS GA-2257-I
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N535).
Building/structure dates: 1934 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1980 subsequent work
National Register Number: 76000632
Significance: Techwood Homes, Building 6 is a contributing building in the Techwood Homes Historic District, nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Techwood Homes is associated with events, agencies, and individuals significant to the history and design of public housing, both nationally and locally. Techwood Homes was the first federally funded public housing project in the United States to reach the construction stage. As the first of 51 "demonstration projects" developed nationwide by the Housing Division of the Public Works Administration (PWA), Techwood Homes served as an experimental model for interpretation and implementation of design standards established by the Housing Division. The project drew immediate praise for its sturdy construction, fireproof materials, natural lighting and cross-ventilation, ample open space and recreational areas, and community-oriented amenities. Development of this landmark project in Atlanta reflected the planning and lobbying efforts of prominent local citizens. Its development provided many benefits locally, including clearance of one of the city's worst slums, employment of many workers and professionals, creation of new housing for over 600 limited-income families, construction of much-needed dormitory for Georgia Tech, and establishment of local support for the subsequent creation of the Atlanta Housing Authority.

Subjects
Building Deterioration
Apartment Houses
Public Housing


Related Names
Burge & Stevens
Housing Division Of The Public Works Administratio
J.A. Jones Construction Company
Federal Housing Administration
Palmer, Charles F.
Baldwin, Harry
Almand, Jennifer, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Atlanta, Georgia