Techwood Homes (Public Housing), Bounded by North Avenue, Parker Street, William St, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
See 12 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
William St, Atlanta, GA
Find maps of Atlanta, GA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS GA-2257
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N99).
Building/structure dates: 1934 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1993 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1955 subsequent work
National Register Number: 76000632
Significance: The first federally funded housing project in the United States, Techwood Homes represents the first large-scale attempt to eradicate slum housing in a socially humanitarian way in this country. Techwood's emphasis on living standards and community planning - as illustrated by its engineering and construction techniques, site layout, landscape and open space design - served as an experimental model for subsequent public housing projects.
Economic & Social Conditions
Housing Division Of The Public Works Administratio
Federal Housing Administration
Burge & Stevens
Butts, Norman C.
J.A. Jones Construction Company
Palmer, Charles F.
Sutherland, Kit, Historian
Cofresi, Lina L., Historian
Radtke, Rosetta, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW FROM ROOFTOP OF BUILDING (MOTEL) ADJACENT TO TECHWOOD HOMES, LOOKING SOUTH. GARAGE TO EXTREME LEFT, BUILDING 1 TO EXTREME RIGHT.
2. VIEW FROM ROOFTOP OF BUILDING (MOTEL) ADJACENT TO TECHWOOD HOMES, LOOKING WEST. GEORGIA TECH DORMITORY BUILDING, 581-587 TECHWOOD DRIVE, IN FOREGROUND.
3. VIEW LOOKING NORTH AT INTERSECTION OF TECHWOOD DRIVE AND PINE STREET.
4. VIEW FROM WEST END OF STORE AND ADMINISTRATION BUILDING LOOKING NORTHWEST ACROSS INTERSECTION OF TECHWOOD DRIVE AND MERRITTS AVENUE.
5. VIEW FROM MERRITTS AVENUE LOOKING SOUTHWEST ACROSS TECHWOOD AVENUE TOWARD 448-514 TECHWOOD AVENUE.
6. VIEW LOOKING NORTH AT INTERSECTION OF TECHWOOD DRIVE AND MERRITTS AVENUE.
7. VIEW FROM COURTYARD OF BUILDINGS 1, 2 AND 3 LOOKING WEST ACROSS TECHWOOD DRIVE TOWARD 570-578 TECHWOOD DRIVE.
8. VIEW FROM TECHWOOD DRIVE LOOKING NORTH TOWARD GEORGIA TECH DORMITORY, 581-587 TECHWOOD DRIVE.
9. VIEW FROM TECHWOOD DRIVE LOOKING SOUTH TOWARD 570-578 TECHWOOD DRIVE.
10. Photocopy of Drawing (November 1934 Architectural Drawings by Burge and Stevens, in Possession of the Engineering and Capital Improvements Department of the Atlanta Housing Authority, Atlanta, Georgia). SITE OF TECHWOOD PROJECT #1101, SHEET A-1.
11. Photocopy of Drawing (November 1934 Architectural Drawings by Burge and Stevens, in Possession of the Engineering and Capital Improvements Department of the Atlanta Housing Authority, Atlanta, Georgia). PLOT PLAN SHOWING STREETS AND SIDEWALK OF TECHWOOD PROJECT #1101, SHEET A-2.
Back to Atlanta, Georgia