Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site, Brown-Hayes Department Store, 461-467 Edgewood Avenue Northeast, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
See 14 maps of this location
461-467 Edgewood Avenue Northeast, Atlanta, GA
Find maps of Atlanta, GA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS GA-2169-E
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-80).
Building/structure dates: 1899 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1912 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1985
National Register Number: 74000677
Significance: The Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site is located in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Atlanta - the Upper Auburn Avenue area. Originally called Wheat Street in honor of one of Atlanta's pre-Civil War merchants. The name was changed in 1893 to the more stylish Auburn Avenue. As early as the 1880's Auburn Avenue became the center of Atlanta's black business and professional community. The interrelationship of residential, commercial, and religious architecture together with the strong black cultural history is representative of the life and work of Dr. King to the extent that the area was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977 and a unit of the National Park Service in 1980. The Brown-Hayes Department Store stands in the once commercially active Edgewood Avenue area, which was second only to Auburn Avenue as the center of black business and social activities...
Foot, G. W.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Atlanta, Georgia