Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site, 526 Auburn Avenue (House), 526 Auburn Avenue, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
See 14 maps of this location
526 Auburn Avenue, Atlanta, GA
Find maps of Atlanta, GA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS GA-2169-C
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-78).
Building/structure dates: 1895 initial construction
National Register Number: 74000677
Significance: The Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site is located in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Atlanta - the Upper Auburn Avenue area. Originally called Wheat Street in honor of one of Atlanta's pre-Civil War merchants. The name was changed in 1893 to the more stylish Auburn Avenue. As early as the 1880's Auburn Avenue became the center of Atlanta's black business and professional community. The interrelationship of residential, commercial, and religious architecture together with the strong black cultural history is representative of the life and work of Dr. King to the extent that the area was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977 and a unit of the National Park Service in 1980. The house at 526 Auburn Avenue was built ca. 1895, and occupied by whites until 1905. Frank Kirke, the first black occupant, lived here until 1950. Along with other homes in the neighborhood, this house was designed in a restrained Queen Anne style...
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Atlanta, Georgia