Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site, 514 Auburn Avenue (Duplex), 514 Auburn Avenue, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
See 12 maps of this location
514 Auburn Avenue, Atlanta, GA
Find maps of Atlanta, GA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS GA-2169-B
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-77).
Building/structure dates: 1893 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1900 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1985 subsequent work
National Register Number: 74000677
Significance: The Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site is located in one of the oldest neighborhoods in Atlanta - the Upper Auburn Avenue area. Originally called Wheat Street in honor of one of Atlanta's pre-Civil War merchants. The name was changed in 1893 to the more stylish Auburn Avenue. As early as the 1880's Auburn Avenue became the center of Atlanta's black business and professional community. The interrelationship of residential, commercial, and religious architecture together with the strong black cultural history is representative of the life and work of Dr. King to the extent that the area was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977 and a unit of the National Park Service in 1980. The restrained Queen Anne style house at 514 Auburn Avenue is an integral component of the Martin Luther King, Jr., National Historic Site. Built ca. 1893, it was occupied by whites until 1905, and by black tenants from 1910 to 1925. It was then occupied alternately by the Shaw and Sanders families until 1955. The house was later converted into two-family flats...
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Atlanta, Georgia