Marietta Road Bridge, Marietta Road, Spanning Inman Railroad Yards, Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Inman Railroad Yards, Atlanta, GA
Find maps of Atlanta, GA
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER GA-44
Building/structure dates: 1900 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1978 demolished
Significance: The Marietta Road Bridge comprises a pair of three span pin connected Double Intersection Pratt through trusses. Its designer and/or fabricator are unknown but the technological character of the bridge is representative of many turn of the century American highway spans. It is uncertain whether this is the original location of the trusses as it is highly possible that they were relocated over the Inman yards after being removed from service elsewhere. The bridge is unusual in that the two lanes of traffic each occupy a separate bridge. There are relatively few surviving "double barrel" truss bridges of this type in America.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. AERIAL VIEW OF BRIDGE LOOKING NORTH.
2. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST.
3. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING NORTHWEST.
4. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTHWEST.
5. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
6. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
7. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTH.
8. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
9. AERIAL VIEW LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
10. DETAIL VIEW OF SHORT SPAN LOOKING NORTHWEST.
11. VIEW OF NORTHERN END OF BRIDGE LOOKING SOUTHEAST.
12. DETAIL VIEW OF SUPPORT PIERS ON NORTH SIDE OF BRIDGE AND ENTRANCE RAMP.
13. DETAIL VIEW OF NORTHERN ENTRANCE TO BRIDGE AND WALKWAY.
14. DETAIL VIEW OF CLOSED ROADWAY ON LEFT SECTION OF BRIDGE LOOKING SOUTH.
15. DETAIL VIEW OF CLOSED ROADWAY ON LEFT SECTION OF BRIDGE LOOKING SOUTH
16. DETAIL VIEW OF ENTRANCE AND EXIT TO BRIDGE LOOKING NORTH
17. DETAIL VIEW OF VERTICAL COMPRESSION MEMBER AND DIAGONALS.
18. DETAIL VIEW OF DIAGONALS.
19. VIEW LOOKING BETWEEN THE TRUSSES SNOWING PIPE.
20. DETAIL VIEW OF LOWER CHORD CONNECTION.
21. DETAIL VIEW OF LOWER CHORD NIP VERTICAL CONNECTION
22. DETAIL VIEW OF BRIDGE SEATS ON PIER.
Back to Atlanta, Georgia