John Hope Homes, Building B-1, 338 Spelman Lane (Originally Leonard Street), Atlanta, Fulton County, GA
Photo Caption Pages
338 Spelman Lane (Originally Leonard Street), Atlanta, GA
Find maps of Atlanta, GA
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS GA-2253-B
Building/structure dates: 1940 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1970 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1980 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1993 subsequent work
Significance: John Hope Homes was originally planned as an extension of University Homes--the first federally subsidized housing project for Black residents in the United States. In its own right, it is significant as one of the first two projects to be constructed under the auspices of the Atlanta Housing Authority (created June 1938). The project was named to honor John Hope, a prominent educator and community leader. Hope was instrumental in uniting the colleges that now comprise the Atlanta University System, for which he served as president from July 1929 until his death in February 1936. Hope was also a driving force in the negotiations for the financing and construction of both Techwood Homes (the first public housing in the nation, but reserved for white residents) and University Homes. The principle architects, Burge and Stevens, had recently completed Techwood Homes when they were awarded the contract for John Hope Homes. Both projects are good example of the earliest conceptions of public housing, whereby architects incorporated elements of the International style while utilizing the new technologies and materials of the era. The firm Burge and Stevens, established almost three quarters of a century ago, still operates under the name of Stevens and Wilkinson of Georgia, Inc.
Atlanta Housing Authority
Burge & Stevens
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTHWEST FRONT OF BUILDING B-1.
2. NORTHEAST REAR OF BUILDING B-1.
3. NORTHWEST SIDE OF BUILDING B-1.
4. SOUTHEAST SIDE OF BUILDING B-1.
5. SOUTH CORNER OF BUILDING B-1.
6. NORTH CORNER OF BUILDING B-1.
Back to Atlanta, Georgia