Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Florida

>

Tampa

>

Lozano Cigar Factory, 1410 North Twenty-first Street, Tampa, Hillsborough County, FL



See 21 maps of this location


Drawings


Item Title


Location
1410 North Twenty-first Street, Tampa, FL

Find maps of Tampa, FL


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS FL-400
Building/structure dates: 1905 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1915 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1916 subsequent work
These drawings were donated to the H/H collection by the University of Florida's College of Architecture; the drawings were produced by architecture students at the University of Florida who chose to participate in the preservation option of the architecture school curriculum. The drawings, therefore, are the work of students.

Significance: The Lozano Cigar Factory is located in the Ybor City area of Tampa, Florida. The original two story brick building was constructed in November of 1905. A third story was added before 1915. A two story addition was constructed on the south side of the building c. 1916. From 1905 to 1941 the Lozano Factory housed several cigar manufacturing companies. F. Lozano, Son and Company, Inc. operated from 1905 to 1923 when increasing cigarette sales and post-war depression hurt the business. M. Bustillo and Company then leased the building and produced cigars there until 1941. Competition from increasing mechanization, the migration of the cigar industry to the north, labor strikes, and increased cigarette production forced the Bustillo Company from its lease. In 1941 the building was sold to the Tampa Casket Company, which operated there until 1970. This building reflects the architectural character common to Tampa cigar factories. Windows are set in round arched lintels with bars on the basement windows and tin-sheathed shutters on the first floor. The first floor is set several feet above ground level with an entrance at the east and south sides of the building.

Subjects
Brick Buildings
Factories
Tobacco Industry


Related Names
Lozano, F.
Bustillo, M.
Tampa Casket Company
Baldwin, Christopher, Delineator
Edmunds, Susan G., Delineator
Fernandez, Maria E., Delineator
Hartlaub, Patrick M., Delineator
Medellin, William B., Delineator
Ratz, Laurie A., Delineator
Roess, Suzanne M., Delineator
Seggebruch, Daniel F., Delineator
Smith, Gary R.V.D.P., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Tampa, Florida